Wednesday, September 30, 2009

THE BIRTH OF A QUILT


The quilt pictured is the one I just finished and shipped off to a repeat customer.


She bought one of my ready-made ones I had listed on etsy and commented that it could have been larger. In my plucky marketing mind, I offered to make her one in the size that she would like and Daisy Doo, she took me up on it.


As she (and so many others) is an admirer of the popular fabric designer, Anna Maria Horner, I asked her to search the net and find a collection she liked. She found just the assortment at an etsy site hosted by "I Craft". (Post below.)


I ordered the group of fabrics and then I sat there and wondered how to combine them in a pattern that hopefully would please the customer. The collection consisted of 6 "Fat Quarters." For those of you who don't quilt, a fat quarter is a piece of fabric 18" x 22", so as you can see, that wasn't enough to make an entire quilt. Then decisions have to be made as to what other fabrics must be chosen that will coordinate, but not detract, to fill out the area of 50" x 60".


This is where the design work comes in. After these decisions are made and the top is completed, one still has to select a backing that will match. You get the picture--a lot of work goes into the design and construction of a simple, little quilt.


During this time, I often wonder why I'm taking a bunch of perfectly good fabric; cut it into little pieces; and then sew them back together again. It's a sickness, I tell 'ya.


To make a long story short (and when that's said, it's already too late) what came out from under the undulating needle is pictured above. I hope you all enjoy looking and maybe refer my work to your friends when they're in the market for a gift.


No comments: