Friday, November 12, 2010

How to Paint Formica




Here are photos of my kitchen remodel so far. First I stripped off the previous black paint I did a couple of years ago. Originally it was a garish Halloween orange so any change was an improvement. Then eventually, the black started chipping off so rather than touch it up, I decided to start from scratch.

After stripping and rubbing it down with steel wool, I thoroughly masked everything off to avoid overspray. (Too bad I didn't mask off my nostrils!) Then I used white spray primer to cover up the orange. That was followed by two light coats of off-white textured spray paint.

I finished with two coats of water-based, interior Varathane.

In the photos you can also see that I painted the accent wall a "Cream of Asparagus Soup" green.

The pictures on the far wall are covers from "Bon Appetit" magazine and the pictures over the sink are recipes from the same magazine. FREE wall art.

The new utensil holder is a green ice bucket found at Goodwill today.

Top left photo: Masked with first coat of Primer.
Top right photo: The finished product
Bottom right photo: Original black paint job.

All in all, I think it turned out much fresher and clean feeling. Next comes the hardwood floor.
Wish me luck on that one.

No comments: